Section 6: Issues Potentially Affecting Practice
The purpose of Section 7 of the Membership Renewal Form is for members to self-report on circumstances that may potentially affect their practice of the profession. The College has a duty to govern members’ conduct and asks these questions to help serve and protect children and families.
You must answer all questions in this section. When you answer the questions, think about what has happened in the time period since your last renewal with the College.*
*I am completing the renewal process for the first time. How do I answer the questions when the form says “since your last renewal with the College”?
- Even though this is your first renewal, you must answer the questions in this section.
- In your circumstances, answer the questions thinking of the time period “since you became a member of the College”.
*I already reported an incident to the College. Do I need to declare it again on the Membership Renewal Form?
- No. You only need to report matters that you have not already advised the College of. For example:
- You are registered with the College and with another regulatory/licensing organization in another profession.
- Two months after your last renewal with the College, the other regulatory/licensing organization initiated a proceeding related to an allegation of professional misconduct against you. You reported this proceeding to the College. You do not have to declare this matter in the Membership Renewal Form.
- You are now completing the Membership Renewal Form for the College for the upcoming year. Two weeks ago, the other regulatory/licensing organization initiated another proceeding about another allegation of professional misconduct against you. You have not yet reported this proceeding to the College. You must declare this matter in the Membership Renewal Form and provide additional information.
Additional information about each question in Section 7 can be found here.
If you answer “yes” to any one or more of the questions in Section 7, you must submit the following documentation with your completed Membership Renewal Form.
- On a separate piece(s) of paper, type (or write in legible print) a detailed explanation about the matter. Include your name and registration number on each page.
- Place this explanation in a separate envelope, label the envelope “Renewal – Section 7 Information”, and seal it. Include this sealed envelope in your package with your completed Membership Renewal Form and submit it all to the College.
- For information about the kinds of details to include in your explanation, see this page.
- If you answer “yes” to more than one question in this section, you are required to provide a detailed explanation for each matter.
- If you do not submit the detailed explanation(s) with your completed Membership Renewal Form before your renewal due date, your renewal will not be processed until you have provided the College with the detailed explanation(s). (For information about what happens if you are late with renewal, see the ‘What happens if you do not renew on time’ section of the Membership Renewal Guide).
The College may ask you and/or third parties to provide additional documentation. This will depend on the circumstances. If you have supporting documentation that is relevant to the matter, you can submit it with your completed Membership Renewal Form and detailed explanation(s).
- Will answering “yes” negatively affect my renewal?
- The College reviews and considers a member’s circumstances on an individual basis.
- You are required to submit the additional information, as described above, with your completed Membership Renewal Form. The information must be complete and submitted before your renewal due date. If you do not submit the required materials by your renewal due date, your renewal will be considered late. (For information about what happens if you are late with renewal, see the What happens if you do not renew on time section of the Membership Renewal Guide).