Requirements and FAQs for Registration
Application and Registration FAQs
1. How can I apply online?
You can apply online through My College Account. Start your application process by creating an account, then log in to start the application. Note that when you are creating your password, it must be at least seven characters long and include at least one number.
If you are unable to apply online, contact us. You may also download and print a copy of the General Application Form. If you are applying using the paper form, be sure to read the Application Guide carefully. All sections of the form must be completed in order for your application to be processed.
You must include your one-time $85 application fee and $160 registration fee. Please make sure to arrange for all supporting documents to be sent to the College.
Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will result in delays.
2. How can I add my "Primary Place of Employment Business Name"?
Follow these steps:
- Click on the ‘Find’ button, underneath the ‘Primary place of employment: Business name’ option. A window will pop up.
- Enter the postal code of the business in the ‘Postal Code’ field, ensuring there is a space in the middle (e.g., A2A 2A2).
- You can leave the other two fields empty.
- If the postal code search doesn’t work, enter the first two words of the business in the ‘Company’ field.
3. What should I do if I hit "Submit" and it does not work?
Your application will not be submitted if you missed one of the mandatory questions. If you cannot submit your application, you can navigate the various sections and look for the red asterisk (*)beside the question you missed. Once your form has been completed and submitted, you should receive a confirmation message on the screen.
4. What is my Registration Number?
For applicants: Your registration number is a reference number for your application file only. It is not an indication of membership with College. You will be formally notified by the College when you become a member and you will be able to use this number to search for your membership details on the Public Register.
For members: You can use your registration number to search on the Public Register to see if your membership status with the College is in good standing.
5. How do I submit my supporting documents?
You will be asked to submit your supporting documents (e.g., proof of identification and/or proof of name change) on My College Account. Please note you must provide both sides of certain documents as indicated below.
Please submit a copy of the government issued identification as proof of your identity. Documents must be in either English or French and include:
- your full name, and
- date of birth.
Example of documents include but are not limited to:
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (front and back)
- Canadian Citizenship Card (front and back)
- Certificate of Indian Status Card (front and back)
- Canadian Passport
- Confirmation of Permanent Residence in Canada
- Permanent Resident Card for Canada
- Record of Landing
- Canadian Driver’s License or photo card
- Other type of documents (passports for international applicants, Immigration and Refugee Protection Act(Canada) documentation for refugees, alternative documents, etc.)
*The College cannot accept health cards as identification.
6. Can I upload my own transcript or Proof of Professional Standing form?
No. Please see Section 6 of our Application Guide about providing supporting documentation.
Applicants registered with another province or territory in Canada, that is recognized by the College for the purpose of the Agreement on Internal Trade, or those who have checked ‘Yes’ on the Professional Registration tab, must make arrangements with the regulatory body or licensing organization to send the completed Proof of Professional Standing Form directly to the College.
7. Can I use a Letter of Equivalency from the AECEO or AFESEO to meet the education requirement for membership?
8. How long does the application process take?
Processing time can vary depending on the complexity of the application. For a fully completed application, processing time is usually between eight to ten weeks. You will be notified by e-mail if there is anything missing from your application package.
9. How much does it cost to register with the College and what are the fees for? How much will it cost to be a member?
A one-time application fee of $85 is required for the processing of your application. This is non-refundable, regardless of the outcome of the application process.
The registration fee of $160 is the fee for membership with the College and must be paid annually. The registration fee and annual membership fee are used to cover the costs required to operate the College. See the list of application and registration fees here.
10. What are the accepted methods of payment?
Your fees can be paid by:
- Credit card (Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard only);
- Cheque made out to the College of Early Childhood Educators; or
- Money order or bank draft in Canadian funds made payable to the College of Early Childhood Educators.
Any cheque that is not honoured is subject to a $35 processing fee.
No postdated cheques or cash will be accepted.
11. Can I drop my application off at your office?
Not at this time; due to COVID-19 we are working remotely. Once the office is open to the public, you can drop your application off at our office during business hours. Please check the College website for the latest information and hours.
12. When will I receive my receipt?
Your receipt will be available online through My College Account within two to three business days after your application is approved.
13. When do I report an address or name change?
You must contact the College at firstname.lastname@example.org when your personal information has changed, within 30 days of the effective date of the change. This will ensure that we have the most up-to-date information on file.
14. How can I change my personal information?
You can update your personal contact information, including your e-mail address, through your My College Account.
Currently your name or your business information cannot be updated through your account. You can provide the new information to the College by downloading and filling out the Change of Information Form and mailing or emailing it to the College.
For a name change you must also submit a copy of one of the following documents as proof of your name change:
- Marriage Certificate
- Change of name document that legally changed your name
- Court order that legally changed your name
The document you provide must include your previous name(s) and new name(s). Please include your full name and registration number or application reference number with your new information and e-mail this correspondence to email@example.com.
15. I answered "yes" to one of the questions regarding Issues Potentially Affecting Practice. Does this mean I can't be a member of the College?
A “yes” response does not necessarily make you ineligible for registration with the College. You will be asked to provide a detailed explanation in writing. The College reserves the right to decide on an individual basis as to the possible impact of the conduct on the practice of the profession.
16. Should a copy of my transcript be included in my application?
No. Please see Section 6 of our Application Guide about providing supporting documentation.
17. What documentation do I provide if I hold a current licensure or registration in ECE with another province or territory in Canada that is recognized by the College for the purpose of the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT)?
If you hold a licence or certificate granted by a regulatory authority of another Canadian province or territory that is considered a match to the Certificate of Registration issued by the College, you will not be required to complete additional material regarding training, experience, examinations or assessments. All other standard requirements of registration still apply.
The following list sets out the licences or certificates, granted by a regulatory authority of the provinces or territories indicated below, which are considered a match to the Certificate of Registration issued by the College:
- Alberta: Level 3 Early Childhood Educator (formerly Child Development Supervisor)
- British Columbia: Infant Toddler Educator or Special Needs Educator
- Saskatchewan: Early Childhood Educator Level III
- Manitoba: Early Childhood Educator Level II or III
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Child Care Services Levels 2, 3, 4
- Nova Scotia: Level 2 Classification (based on Diploma) or Level 3 Classification
- Prince Edward Island: Early Childhood Supervisor
- Yukon Territory: Child Care Worker Level III
18. How do I withdraw my application to the College?
If you wish to withdraw your application for registration with the College, please complete the Request for Application Withdrawal Form.
Note that you will receive a refund for the payment of the $160 registration fee; however, the application fee of $85 is non-refundable. Please allow two to four weeks for processing your withdrawal request.
19. Can I request access to the documents that the College has in my file?
Yes. Please contact the College by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to make a request for access to any information or documents the College has in your application file.
The Registrar may refuse to give an applicant anything that may, in the Registrar’s opinion, jeopardize the safety of any person per the Early Childhood Educators Act 2007, c.7, Sched. 8, s.26 (2).
20. Do I need to demonstrate eligibility to work in Canada?
No. The eligibility to work in Canada registration requirement has been removed from the Ontario Reg. 221/08, effective as of January 1, 2022. Please refer to question 5 about the personal identification documentation submission.