Home 9 Members 9 Professional Regulation

Professional Regulation

Addressing concerns of professional misconduct, incompetence and incapacity of members of the College and unregulated persons engaging in illegal practise.

Here you will find information on complaints and reporting concerns, hearings and additional resources.


If you have a concern about the conduct of actions of a registered early childhood educator (“RECE”) and you wish to file a complaint, please complete and submit a Complaint Intake Form

To learn more about the complaints process, please contact the Professional Regulation department by e-mail at proreg@college-ece.ca or by phone at 416-961-8558 or 1 888-961-8558 and ask to speak with an Intake Coordinator.

Mandatory Employer Reports

Employers must report to the College when the employment of an RECE is terminated, suspended or restrictions have been placed on their duties for reasons of professional misconduct or if the RECE resigns under these circumstances.

Employers must report to the College when they become aware that an RECE who is a current or former employee is charged or convicted of an offense involving sexual conduct and minors or an offence that, in the employer’s opinion, indicates that a child may be at risk of harm or injury. Employers must also report any conduct by an RECE that they believe should be reviewed by a committee of the College. College committees address issues related to professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity.

Employers who need to provide the College with a report, should complete and submit the Mandatory Employer Report.

For more information on mandatory reporting obligations, please see the College’s Employer Bulletin.

Unregulated Persons – Unauthorized Practice

Only registered members of the College of Early Childhood Educators can legally practise the profession of early childhood education and use the protected titles “registered early childhood educator” (RECE), “early childhood educator” (ECE) and their French equivalents.

The College’s online public register is the only accurate way to verify an individual’s current membership status. Parents and employers should always check the public register to verify an individual’s registration status with the College. The public register can be accessed online from anywhere, any time.

Click here for the public register.

If you have concerns that an individual may be practising as an RECE or holding themselves out to be an RECE when they are not, please contact the Professional Regulation department by e-mail at proreg@college-ece.ca or by phone at 416-961-8558 or 1 888-961-8558 and ask to speak with an Intake Coordinator.

The College is committed to addressing illegal practise. To view a list of unregulated persons we are currently aware of, click here.

Other types of concerns

More information on what to do if you have concerns about your child’s care can be found on the Ministry of Education’s website.

If you have concerns about a licensed child care program’s compliance with the requirements set out under the Child Care and Early Years Act, you may contact your local Ministry of Education Child Care Quality Assurance and Licensing regional office.


The Discipline Committee conducts public hearings into cases of alleged professional misconduct and/or incompetence, and these proceedings are generally open to the public. The Fitness to Practise Committee conducts hearings regarding cases of possible incapacity in proceedings that are not open to the public. Find more information here about hearings, including about upcoming and concluded Discipline hearings.

Member Reporting Requirement re Criminal Charges

All members of the College have an ongoing obligation to notify the College of issues including:

  • every charge and finding of guilt in relation to a criminal offence, an offence under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Canada) or the Food and Drugs Act (Canada) or any other offence relevant to the member’s suitability to practise the profession,
  • every allegation that has been verified by a children’s aid society or other body that has similar responsibility, and
  • every proceeding and finding in relation to professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity by another regulatory body or professional association

To submit a report, please contact: proreg@college-ece.ca

Other Resources