Home 9 Public 9 FAQs for members of the public

FAQs for members of the public

Members of the public text in image
What is the purpose of the College?

The College of Early Childhood Educators regulates and governs Ontario’s Registered Early Childhood Educators (RECEs) in the public interest. That means we’re here to protect children and their families. We establish and enforce:

  • Registration requirements;
  • Ethical and professional standards for RECEs;
  • Requirements for continuous professional learning; and
  • Complaints and discipline process for professional misconduct, incompetence and incapacity.

Read more about us here.

What is the public register?

The public register enables you to find out if an individual who says they are an Early Childhood Educator (ECE) or a Registered Early Childhood Educator (RECE) is a registered member of the College. The public register will also tell you if that member is in good standing.

Find out more and access the public register here.

How does the College help inform parents about RECEs?

The public register informs parents, employers and the public if an RECE is a member of the College. Providing this information assures the public that individuals practising the profession of early childhood education are qualified, competent and accountable.

The College can help if you want to find out more information about the ethical and professional standards that guide our members, registered early childhood educators. Find out what to do if you have a concern about an RECE.

What is the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice (Code and Standards)?

The College’s Code and Standards sets out the professional knowledge, skills, values and expectations applicable to all RECEs, regardless of the role and work setting. It also communicates their scope of work and the nature of the profession.

You can access the Code and Standards here.

What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about an RECE?

If you have a concern about the conduct of actions of a registered early childhood educator and you wish to file a complaint, please complete and submit a Complaint Intake Form.

To learn more about the complaints process, please contact the Professional Regulation department by email at discipline@college-ece.ca or by phone at 416-961-8558 or 1 888-961-8558 and ask to speak with an Intake Coordinator.

The College is committed to addressing concerns of professional misconduct, incompetence and incapacity of members of the college. We are also committed to addressing illegal practise: only registered members of the College can use the title “ECE” or “RECE”. You can also view the list of unregulated persons we are currently aware of.

What resources does the College have for parents and members of the public?

We have resources available that help provide members of the public with a better understanding of the role of a Registered Early Childhood Educator. Find these resources here.

What is the parent handbook and how can I get a copy?
The Child Care and Early Years Act requires that a parent handbook is available to any parents considering enrolling their child in a child care centre licensed by the Ministry of Education, and/or any parent of a child who receives child care in one of these centres.
Some centres may include information in their parent handbooks about the College, its public register and RECEs.